Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic church located at 2535 Collingwood Boulevard in the Old West End of Toledo, Ohio. The cathedral is the mother church of the 122 parishes in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Toledo. This cathedral is unique architecturally in that it was designed in the Spanish Plateresque style. It was designed with Toledo’s Sister City, Toledo, Spain, in mind. Finished in 1931, it was built in the spirit of the great European cathedrals of the Middle Ages.
The second bishop of Toledo, Ohio, Samuel Stritch (1921-1930), made the final selection of plans approving the architectural drawings of William Perry of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Groundbreaking for the cathedral occurred in 1925, and the cornerstone was placed in 1926. The building was structurally completed amidst the Great Depression in 1931 at $3.25 million. It was not until October 1940, at the end of the depression, that Bishop Karl Joseph Alter (1931-1950), the diocese’s third bishop, dedicated the church as Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral.
The cathedral has a basilica floor plan and is constructed of Massachusetts granite with Indiana limestone accents. The main facade has a single entry that is recessed in a barrel-vault arch framed by carved limestone details. Above the doorway is a statue of the Virgin Mary in a carved niche. Above the statue is a 28 ft (8.5 m) rose window with limestone tracery set into a larger arch. The window depicted scenes from the life of Mary and was financed through the donation of pennies by children throughout the diocese. Framing the entry are two octagonal towers that bear carvings of Sts. Peter and Paul are on either side of the rose window. Above the window, on the pediment, are the diocesan coat of arms. Diegel Bed Bug Exterminator Toledo
Ernest M. Skinner Organ
The cathedral houses a large four-manual Ernest M. Skinner pipe organ, their opus 820 (1930). Ernest Skinner personally finished the instrument and was formally dedicated in 1931 by Palmer Christian, professor of organ at the University of Michigan. It contains 75 stops and 76 ranks (sets) of pipes, totaling 4,916 pipes. These pipes range in length from 7 inches to over 32 feet.
Restaurants and Pubs
- Mike’s Place is located at 3170 Cherry St, Toledo, OH
- Mancy’s Steakhouse is located at 953 Phillips Ave, Toledo, OH
- Robert’s Food & Spirits are located at 2635 N Detroit Ave, Toledo, OH
- The Ottawa Tavern is located at 1815 Adams St, Toledo, OH
Check out other attractions like Swan Creek