Toledo Museum of Art  

The Toledo Museum of Art is an internationally known art museum located in Toledo, Ohio’s Old West End neighborhood. It houses a collection of more than 30,000 objects. With 45 galleries, it covers 280,000 square feet and is currently in the midst of a massive multi-year expansion plan to its 40-acre campus. The museum was founded by Toledo glassmaker Edward Drummond Libbey in 1901 and moved to its current location, a Greek revival building designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter, in 1912. The main building was expanded twice, in the 1920s and 1930s. Other buildings were added in the 1990s and 2006. The Museum’s main building consists of 4 1/2 floor space on two levels. Features include fifteen classroom studios, a 1,750-seat Peristyle concert hall, a 176-seat lecture hall, a café, and a gift shop.

Exhibits

The museum holds significant collections of glass art and 19th- and 20th-century European and American art and small but distinguished collections of Renaissance, Greek, Roman, and Japanese art. Notable individual works include Peter Paul Rubens’s The Crowning of Saint Catherine; Fragonard’s Blind Man’s Bluff; Vincent van Gogh’s Houses at Auvers; minor works by Rembrandt and El Greco; and modern works by Willem de Kooning, Henry Moore, and Sol LeWitt. Other artists in the permanent collection include Holbein, Cole, Cropsey, Turner, Tissot, Degas, Monet, Cézanne, Matisse, Miró, Picasso, Calder, Bearden, Close, and Kiefer.

Peristyle

The Peristyle, a 1,750-seat concert hall in the east wing, is the principal concert space for the Toledo Symphony Orchestra and hosts the Museum’s Masters series. In 1933, it was designed in a classical style to match the museum’s exterior. Seating is divided into floor and riser seating, with the riser seating arranged in a half-circle, similar to a Greek theater. At the back of the riser, seating is 28 Ionic columns that give the concert hall its name.

Center for the Visual Arts and the Glass Pavilion

A Center for the Visual Arts, designed by Frank Gehry, was added in the 1990s. It includes the museum’s library as well as studio, office, and classroom space for the art department of the University of Toledo.  In 2000, the museum chose the architectural firm of SANAA to design a new building to house the institution’s glass collection. Diegel Bed Bug Exterminator Toledo

Restaurants and Pubs

  • The Leaf and Seed Café is located at 116 10th St, Toledo, OH
  • The Adams Street Café is located at 608 Adams St, Toledo, OH
  • Fleetwood’s Tap Room is located at 28 N St Clair St, Toledo, OH

 

Check out other attractions like Toledo Zoo