The National Museum of the Great Lakes is a museum in the Toledo Maritime Center, a heritage location on the banks of the Maumee River on the east side of Toledo, Ohio. Operated by the Great Lakes Historical Society, it celebrates the natural and built heritage of the North American Great Lakes from a U.S. perspective. The museum is most noted as the docking location of a museum Lake freighter, the SS Col. James M. Schoonmaker.
The Great Lakes are not only the essential natural resource in the world, but they also represent thousands of years of history. The lakes have dramatically impacted the North American continent’s social, economic, and political history. The National Museum of the Great Lakes tells the awe-inspiring stories of the Great Lakes through breathtaking photography, over 300 incredible artifacts, several powerful audiovisual displays, and 40 hands-on interactive exhibits, including the 617-foot iron ore freighter Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship and the historic Museum Tug Ohio. Click here to explore the museum and the Schoonmaker. The tales told here span hundreds of years, from the fur traders in the 1600s to the Underground Railroad operators in the 1800s, the rum runners in the 1900s, to the sailors on the thousand-footers sailing today. The theme of the Great Lakes as a Powerful Force runs through all of these stories and will create a lifelong interest in all who visit.
- Skyway Marina: The Toledo Skyway Marina is located adjacent to the Museum and provides riverfront access and views of the city. The marina features 77 boat slips with water and electric hook up, marine fuel services, and a clean vessel pump-out system.
- Area Restaurants: Discover acclaimed waterfront dining at The Docks, a restaurant complex on the banks of the Maumee River just south of the Museum. Savor daily fresh catches from Real Seafood Co., featuring a raw oyster bar. To the north of the Museum in the historic Birmingham District of East Toledo, indulge in Hungarian dishes at the beloved Tony Packo’s, a Toledo landmark for 75 years.
- Cultural Attractions: While you are in the Glass City, check out some of our other fine cultural attractions – including, but not limited to: Toledo Museum of Art, Imagination Station, Toledo Zoo, Firefighters Museum. Diegel Bed Bug Exterminator Toledo
Restaurants and Pubs
- Fowl & Fodder Downtown is located at 614 Adams St, Toledo, OH.
- American Table Family Restaurant is located at 846 S Wheeling St, Oregon, OH.
- Fleetwood’s Tap Room is located at 28 N Clair St, Toledo, OH.
Check out other attractions like Oak Openings Preserve Metropark